Thursday, February 7, 2013

The only prime number I like is beef



If I die in my sleep tonight, I will die knowing that there is a prime number that is 17 million digits long.  You know what a prime number is of course: it can only be divided by itself and one.  Yes, I will surely rest in peace with that piece of information residing in my brain.  This number is 22 megabytes in size in case you were wondering.  Yes sirree, I am at peace.  What is the every day use for a prime number that is 17 million digits long you might ask?  Nothing, Nada, Zip.  Why in the world do people spend time figuring these things out?

It seems that the math world, a world I only visit if there is no other choice, is obsessed with prime numbers.  They even have contests to see who can find the largest prime number.  I didn't even know it was missing.  If they find and then prove their findings, they sometimes get money and sometimes get written up in some math journal and will forever be a footnote in some one's doctoral thesis.  At least they will be until the next number is ascertained.  It is my premise that none of this makes a bit of difference.  Why?  Theoretically, these numbers already exist right?  If there is no practical application for large prime numbers, WHO CARES?  To me it's like counting sand particles in the desert.  They are there and their number, while it might be interesting to someone, is irrelevant.

I suppose this is the geek equivalent of mountain climbing: I find numbers because they are there.  Wouldn't it be a better use of time and resources if there were a practical application that would improve quality of life?  A 17 billion digit number does not help me balance my check book (a calculator doesn't either for some reason).  It does not find a cure for cancer, or any genetic disorder or protect us from meteors plummeting towards earth.  Let's look at what prime numbers can do.

Prime numbers are beneficial in cryptography.  You know, the codes for communication when you don't want the enemies to read it.  Cryptography helped win WW II when pure military might and strategy alone could not.  That was beneficial.  The only practical use for prime numbers is in the computer world although the brainiest mathematicians insist that it may change some day.  There are also those who believe insects use prime numbers somehow.  Like the cicadas who come out at irregular intervals say 13 and 17 years.  This confuses their natural enemies and more of the cicadas survive. While that information is fascinating, it's only useful every 13 or 17 years and only if you live where there are cicadas.  Well, when I want to enter a prime number contest or become a cicada, I'll start working on prime numbers.  Until then, I'm sticking to Prime Rib.  Dinner anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment