Saturday, December 29, 2012

Growing up is optional


The advantage of being given an unexpected opportunity (getting laid off), is that you get to reinvent yourself.  At least that's what I'm going for. So what do I want to be when I grow up?  Hmmm, let me think. 

I've already crossed off the list:

1) Pole dancer.  That wouldn't work unless you could find an audience for people who want to see varicose veins, cellulite and age spots. Leisure World for the vision impaired?

2) Interpreter for the UN.  No go there either.  I am at least so far, hopelessly monolingual, and there is some question that I actually speak English.   

3) Rocket scientist.  If it weren't for the math this might be an option since my head is almost always in the clouds.  Since I am limited to the basic functions one can perform on their fingers, I'll have to pass on this one.

4) Gastroenterologist.  This might be an option since my head is always up my...well maybe not.

5) Fortune teller.  I can't figure what is happening while it is happening, so predicting or seeing the future probably won't work for me. I would have won the Lotto by now right?


What about things I might actually be able to do? I may consider:

1)  Nurse: An obvious choice.

2)  Organic gardener since I grow great tomatoes and chili peppers.  I'm sure I can grow something else too.

3)  Professional Patient Advocate.  I spend all my time advocating for patients in my life as a nurse.  Why not help patients get what they need?

4)  Potter.  Can't have enough pots and throwing is so therapeutic. Plus you can use clay for your facials when you aren't making pots.

5)  Standup comic for medical professionals.  Can't have enough jokes referencing bodily functions and fluids.  Ask my son how funny it is having a nurse for a mother...on second thought, don't ask him: he might tell the truth. 

So many choices, and nothing but time.  Life is good and it's getting better every day.

1 comment:

  1. I vote for stand up comedy or pot thrower. And I am putting in my request for a nice mixing bowl early! I like deep reds or raku style. LOL.

    Funny, I have the same thoughts and make similiar lists in my head since my lay off. I keep thinking I can do something totally different, but nursing keeps calling to me. Sometimes I dream of a job with hard pysical labor thinking it will purify me and wear me out from worrying about anything else. Maybe. I would like to be a goat farmer though!

    ReplyDelete