Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Unexpected Opportunity


A funny thing happened to me at work one day: I got laid off.  It wasn't anything personal, it was a business decision.  Lots of people got laid off the same day:  people I had worked with for my eight years there and people who had been there 20 years, and people who had just been hired.  It was an equal opportunity lay off.

It is of particular interest to me that I thought my job was safe.  I'm an RN with over 30 years experience.  I mean, nurses can always work right?  Another particularly interesting issue is the fact that I work, I mean worked, for a hospice.  Being a Baby Boomer, I happen to know there is an unending supply of candidates for hospice.  So why would there be a lay off?  Life is not simple, nor is medical care these days.  No, The Affordable Health Care Act had nothing to do with it.  The high cost of delivering high quality health care that no one else can deliver is the issue.  Although I suspect or maybe hope, the industry will catch up someday, that day is not today.

So where does the laughing come in?  If you knew me, you would know.  I happen to think that even the most serious situation could use a little laugh in there somewhere.  This was not a conscious choice, it was a pattern I followed starting many many years ago as a young nurse; pointing out the absurdities of situations, stating the obvious that everyone else was too polite to mention and of course the well timed one liner.  Nothing like a laugh to give the old endorphins a boost.  I didn't set out to do these things, I have impulse control issues.  Once a thought pops into my head, it usually pops out of my mouth.  Sometimes this is a curse, and sometimes it's a blessing.

So in my days of shock after the lay off notice, I was trying to figure out what my next move, my next job, my next reincarnation would be.  I don't know yet, but why don't you come along for the ride?  You never know what I may say next.  

6 comments:

  1. Maybe I did see this coming. Stand up is next? You can try out your material here. I'm trying to figure out how to subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to keep reading it too! I think the real answer is....not to grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you've already changed your name. That's the epitome of flexibility. Like the willow you bend with the wind. Nice....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No name change yet. Did add my picture and I do get to name each post. Peter Pan is a reader that you know and indeed, you had to confirm to her I was the writer of this blog. Life is good!

      Delete
  4. Ahhhhh.....I recall my layoff...and the papers. You take me back to as if it were just yesterday. I love your humor. I will follow! You always make me laugh Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely fantastic! You are just as great an online personality as you are in real life - I love it! I hope that, when you find a new job and suddenly find yourself lacking time to blog, that you will still try to every once in a while. Blogging has a great way of being therapeutic without meaning to be.

    ReplyDelete