Saturday, January 12, 2013

25 Degrees is Cold in Southern California



I woke up to 25 degrees this morning. This wouldn't be a news item most places in January but I live in Southern California, next stop Baja, Mexico.  Then what in heaven's name is happening? I was on board with global warming, after it was announced that 2012 was the hottest year on record. Could 2013 be trying to set the record for coldest year?  I wish I'd gotten the memo so I could have been prepared.

When you live in So. Cal., winter is a place you visit.  You go to the mountains, enjoy the snow, aggravate the mountain folks and go home to warm up.  Simple really.  We don't typically even have coats.  We have little stylish jackets that don't necessarily do much against the cold.  Jeans are our main protection against the winter, add a hoodie and you are good to go. This outfit is actually seen all year because we don't really have big fluctuations in temperature. Well at least we don't usually have big fluctuations in temperatures.

To combat the cold, I have had to take extreme measures.  I have turned on the heat.  Not only have I turned it on I have left in on for a good portion of the day the past week.  I have taken to wearing whatever fuzzy clothing I have all day long.  I have gotten a couple of puzzled looks when going to the mail box, but it has been a matter of survival. Then there are the flannel sheets.

I have avoided putting the flannel sheets on the bed for a couple of reasons.  The first reason is I really love my 600 thread count sheets.  This is a level of luxury unknown to me until a couple of years ago.  Once you go above 300 thread count, you just can't go back.  The second reason is although flannel is warm, it is not elegant.  When it occurred to me that only I would know about the sheet change, I capitulated.  I am so glad I did.  Last night I was actually so warm, I thought about throwing one of my comforters off.  Yes, I have more than one.  I have my all weather comforter and my down comforter plus the flannel sheets.  If you are going for warm, go large or go home.  I don't run the heater at night, so I figured why not?

I'll tell you why not.  Flannel sheets plus fuzzy pajamas's creates a situation similar to Velcro.  I swear there were sparks when I rolled over caused by the friction.  Was this similar to striking a match?  I had visions of an obituary that read, "Fire officials speculate the conflagration was caused by the deadly combination of flannel sheets and fuzzy monkey pajamas. The family requests the public be reminded that this combination is a health hazard that should be avoided at all costs."  Fearful for my life, I slept in one position happy in the thought I would live to see another morning.  Life is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment